mAn in the kitchen

mAn in  the kitchen

Monday, June 15, 2015

A Veggie Pie - Tomato & Potato Casserole style

Hi,

Today I made my first ever Casserole, I know  hard to believe, hey I am a former junk food, tv dinner type of guy. I decided to make this because potatoes and tomatoes are in season in my organic home garden. So I searched high and low for ideas and I found this great recipe on The Florida Tomato Committee web page.

The Shopping List

1/2 cup Grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons Semolina
2 tablespoons Fresh oregano 
4 large  tomatoes,Cored &  Sliced  1/8 inch thick 
Salt & Pepper 
6 to 8 medium-size all-purpose potatoes Sliced thin
1 small onion minced 
Grapeseed Oil


Directions 

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees 
  Oil deep 10-inch round casserole 
 In a small bowl, mix the Parmesan cheese, semolina, and oregano and set aside.
 Put a layer of tomatoes in the bottom of the casserole
 Salt and pepper lightly
cover with about 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan mixture.
 Put a layer of slightly overlapping potatoes on top of the tomatoes.
 Salt and pepper lightly and sprinkle with minced onion.
 Continue this layering, ending with the tomatoes and cheese mixture.
Cover the casserole with foil and bake for about 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours, until the potatoes are tender. Uncover, then let the dish sit for 5 minutes before serving.

I added a chopped Jalapeno Pepper from my garden as a garnish.
YIELD: 4 to 6 servings

I feel that I Did not use enough potatoes ,, layer them to about 1/2 thick for each layer of potatoes. I also used a pie dish, I WOULD suggest maybe something twice at deep in order to get more layers. The smell of this dish baking was just awesome, the taste was as terrific, this will be a regular dish in my home. 

Enjoy