mAn in the kitchen

mAn in  the kitchen

Sunday, August 16, 2015

Recycling in the Kitchen -- Egg shells

I like to eat and cook with eggs. I like to grow food in my kitchen -- I have 2 indoor herb garden planters on the window sill in my kitchen. I also have a garden just outside my backdoor. With growing anykind of garden or plant, comes the task of making sure that they are feed, yes plants need to eat to!! Today I will show how easy it is to make some plant food out of the waste from your kitchen mainly from egg shells.

The main ingredient in eggshells is calcium carbonate, The shell itself is about 95% CaCO3 . The remaining 5% includes calcium phosphate and magnesium carbonate and soluble and insoluble proteins.


Plants benefit from these Macronutrients in the following ways 
  • Calcium, an essential part of plant cell wall structure, provides for normal transport and retention of other elements as well as strength in the plant. It is also thought to counteract the effect of alkali salts and organic acids within a plant. 
  • Magnesium is part of the chlorophyll in all green plants and essential for photosynthesis. It also helps activate many plant enzymes needed for growth.

So How did  I make my organic plant food? I took a half a dozen eggshells. I put them into one of my magic bullet cups, then I installed the blender blade. Blend the shells for a couple minutes until they are pulverized. Once at this stage you are done. Just spread around your plants and work the milled egg shells into the soil and water the plant. 



Egg shells can also be broken into small jagged pieces and placed either onto the top of the soil of mixed into the dirt around the plant, the jagged edges of the egg shells act as a trap for slugs and other pests in your garden, as the bodies of these pests get torn apart from the sharp edges of the shells.