mAn in the kitchen

mAn in  the kitchen

Sunday, June 7, 2015

Mashed Potatoes - Hold the Butter and the Sour Cream

Yesterday I harvested some potatoes from my organic garden here in Garland, Texas, I have made mashed potatoes my first recipe to make out of my harvest. I kinda made a mashed potato dish that falls in between a warm potato salad and conventional mashed potatoes. Below you will find out how to make your own.


What you will need

2 Medium size organic potatoes

1 Tablespoon fresh Rosemary
3 tablespoons Olive oil
2 Tablespoons soy or almond milk
a pinch of pink salt
a pinch of pepper
3 cloves of garlic
1 medium organic carrot
1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese




Directions


Chop your rosemary 

press the garlic

chop or dice the potatoes
steam the potatoes for about 10 to 15 min.
shred the carrot

place the steamed potatoes in a portable blender
add in the olive oil
add in the salt and pepper
add in some cheese

add in some rosemary
add in the garlic
add in some of the carrots
add in the milk
blend all well until the potatoes are smooth and creamy
remove the mashed potatoes from the blender
garnish the potatoes with the reserved carrots, rosemary and cheese
Optional -- add some chicken to this dish

I used a slice of smoked chicken breast to complete this meal .


Serves 2 


Shopping List
Fresh rosemary, garlic, soy milk, cheese, carrot, virgin olive oil, organic potatoes, salt and pepper 

optional -- smoked chicken and some hard cider 


Chopped celery is also a optional garnish for the mashed tater dish, it would bring it a step closer to the warm potato salad recipes that are out there. I wanted to do something that I could call my own. So I hacked the recipe that I had found for such.





Credits  The worlds healthiest foods book.. I was inspired by the 10-minute "Healthy Steamed Mashed"Potatoes Recipe 
Tips -- To prevent overcooking potatoes use a timer

Steaming Potatoes preserves their flavor and preserves most of their nutrients.

Potatoes are rich in 


  • Vitamin c
  • B6 
  • Copper
  • Potassium
  • Manganese
  • Typtophan
  • Dietary Fiber
Below is what I  Call Mashed Potatoes with a little heat
I Garnished the potatoes with chopped white onion, Parmesan cheese, hot pepper flakes and 
my favorite hot sauce